Les Cognets originally referred to land where quince trees were grown. A small manor house was built on this land a long time ago.
The Cognets family got its name from this land and this manor. Its founder came to settle here on his return from the first crusade (1095-1099). According to family tradition, he was an Irish prince. The Cognets family appears in the watches and reformations of 1423 to 1535 for the parishes of Chateaubriand, Hénan-Bihen, Plurien, Saint-Potan, Pléboulle and Saint-Germain de la Mer. At the reformation of 1668, the family was declared a noble family of ancient extraction for 7 generations and maintained again at the Intendance in 1702.
The Cognets coat of arms is very particular: "Sable (black) with a cross Argent (white) crosslet, potentate and counter potentate, cantoned by four mullets of the same" (mullets are one of the symbols of chivalry). These coats of arms take their origin from the time of the crusades. Such coats of arms are called "honourable" and are among the oldest and most authentic of the Breton nobility.
As for the Manor House, abandoned by the elder branch in the 13th century, it has undergone many alterations but, at all times, the tenant farmers painted a cross on the sum of the pointed arch door, a reminder of the potentate cross of the founders.